Friday, April 27, 2012

A Letter of Thanks to Church Childcare Workers...




If you spend your Sunday mornings in the church nursery,                                                 
                                   or at the kiddie drop-off booth,
                                                              or playing Red-Rover with sixteen four-year-olds,
                                                                                  Thank you.

If you have fed my teething, slobbery baby animal crackers to soothe him until the Worship Service was over,
                or searched for twenty minutes to find his lost pacifier in the toy box,
                                or prayed with my daughter after she's been rejected by the other kids,
                                              or (bless your heart) answered her favorite question a hundred and fifty times, "WHY??"
                                                                                                              Thank you.
 

If you have ever cleaned up my son's blow-out diapers,
          If you have listened to him scream for the entire hour and a half while he was under your care,
                        If you have ever been clonked on the head by his flailing arms or smiled as he tore at your hair in curiosity,
                                            or been the victim of a full on spit-up assault,
                                                                                Thank you.

I try to remember to give a heart-felt thank you, but let's face it: In the midst of the masses coming to collect their children, it often goes unsaid. Or amongst all of the "Mommy! Look what I colored!!" and "I wasn't done playing!" and "What's for lunch?!?" coming from my offspring, it often goes unheard, bouncing away on the tops of the noises that fill the halls.

I know it's tough. I've been there. Nursery workers are not cowards- this job is not for the faint of heart. And the older the kids, the tougher the job. You have to be on your toes... or you'll get tackled by a herd of three year old boys! You pour out love until you feel completely empty, but then, suddenly, you feel full again- God's grace, no doubt.

What you may or may not realize, is how important your job is. You sit with my children and keep them safe. You keep them happy- or busy, at least. But it's more than that.

You provide me, as their mother, an opportunity I rarely experience during the week- an hour or two to sit in God's presence, learn from His Word, and worship Him without distraction.
                                                                                     Thank you.

I have no worries during that time. No fears. I can completely let go of my maternal distractions for a little while and focus on Jesus- because I know that you are taking good care of my children. I know this because they don't want to leave the nursery when church is over. They can't stop talking about what they've learned, what they played and what they sang. During the week my daughter will say something completely profound and full of love and truth. She says she learned it at church. That was something you said.
                                                                                                  Thank you.

I love the way you invest in my children- you're not a babysitter. You're changing the world by loving on kids, one Sunday morning at a time. You reinforce the truths and values I try to set at home. You show my kids a piece of Jesus every time you hug them, serve them, or teach them.
                                                                               Thank you.

Thank you for the time, energy and love you pour into my kids every time the church doors are open. Thank you for greeting me with a smile that says, "Go, enjoy God today. I've got this under control." Thank you for giving up so much- in that, you are giving my family more than you know. I appreciate you. Every one of you.

1 comment:

  1. :) Printing this out and giving it to all nursery workers if that's okay. I think you've summed up so perfectly what is in all the parents' hearts.

    ReplyDelete