Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How to Eat Ice Cream...



I have four children ranging in age from 8 months to 8 years old. As you can imagine, this makes it incredibly difficult to sneak a bowl of ice cream when I need a little "me time." 

Sure, I could dish out a bowl for each child in perfect, Pinteresty scoops with sprinkles, syrup and and smiles, but who has time for that? Sometimes I just want to eat ice cream alone- and I have found a way that works for me:

Step 1: Distract the children. Video games work nicely. 


Step 2: Choose an unassuming container. I prefer a coffee mug because the kids know I drink coffee at weird times of the day and they know they can't have any- so they typically ignore my coffee mugs.


Step 3: Quickly pull out ice cream and scoop and cover them with a towel. It helps if you can back them up against a wall or a messy area so they're not as noticeable.


Step 4: As soon as no one is looking, scoop your little heart out! If anyone interrupts, pretend like you're writing a grocery list. The older children (if they are like mine) will run so they won't be forced to practice their handwriting. 


Step 5: Fill the cup and flatten the top so nothing can be seen. Insert a spoon. This works wonderfully if you usually leave a spoon in your coffee anyway. When the children look at you, just stir.


Step 6: Find a quiet place to hide. I like the couch in my room because it is covered in pillows and I can quickly & easily hide my treasure should the children come calling. The bathroom is also a good spot, if they haven't figured out how to pick the lock.


Enjoy! Remember, patience is key. You will be interrupted. You will be bothered. You may have to stand up to eat just so they can't see in your cup. It will probably melt. But it's worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment