Monday, January 17, 2011

The haircut...

My little princess got her hair cut today- and I CRIED! I do that a lot... cry. Not because I'm sad or depressed, but because I'm so thankful and I just get overwhelmed at the thought of my little girl growing up. We cut nearly 5 inches off into a little pixie cut. Let me just say, she's ADORABLE! I've wanted to get it done for a while, but she was completely against it. Somehow she was convinced that such an endeavor would turn her into a boy. I tried and tried to convince her otherwise, but to no avail. Then, this morning, as I was combing the knots out again and she was cringing in pain again, I mentioned that a haircut might solve this problem. "Let's get my hair cut!" she yelled, enthusiastically. Then I added, "Your hair will be short- just like DORA'S!!" as a little cherry on top, just to make sure she didn't change her mind.

She waited patiently as I got mine done (long story- my second haircut in two days). As she swiveled in the chair next to me I heard, "Is the hair cutter all through with you yet?" in about 10 different forms. [I find it amazing how children can ask the same question in so many ways, expecting a different answer each time.] Finally it was Courtney's turn. She watched as the first section was cut off- about 5 inches long, 2 inches wide. I saw panic in her eyes. I think the hairdresser did, too, because almost simultaneously we started throwing out the compliments. "Oh, you're going to look so pretty!" and what-not. Courtney ate these up and soon smiled. She said. "Oh, I just LOVE my new haircut!" She giggled and squirmed as the scissors touched her neck. She said they were cold and tickly. When it was over, everyone in the salon told her how beautiful she looked- like a little princess. She gleamed with delight and self-confidence. She was such a big girl, and now, more than ever, she looks like a kid- not a baby. I've noticed her looks changing over the last several weeks, but now it's official. My little girl is no baby. Not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment