Monday, June 20, 2011

Mama Magic...

     "God gave Mamas the ability to know what their kids are doing, even when they aren't watching their kids." I watched my 3 yr old's face go from dumbfounded to amazed in a matter of seconds as she realized the truth in this statement.

Then she made her way to time-out for jumping on the couches while I was in the laundry room.  
  
     How did I know? Mama Magic... and the fact that she was grinning from ear to ear, sitting quietly on the couch with the pillows and throws all out of sorts. I know her. I know her so well, in fact, that I saw the I'm going to jump! look on her face as I headed out of the living room. Amazing, isn't it?

     I am often in awe of the abilities God gives us Mamas. For instance, somehow I seem to know the sound of every little thing in my house. I can't remember where I left my keys, but I distinctly remember the sound of little hands opening the pantry door. If you were at my house and we heard a large crash, I could tell you with certainty whether it was the bookshelf, the Barbie toys, the closet rod or the shoe basket. I can tell what part of the hallway the baby is in by the way his hand sounds as he taps the wall. Incredible! I could even tell you if my daughter is searching for string cheese, grapes or yogurt, simply by the way she's standing in front of the refridgerator.

     We Mamas are great at predictions, too. We just know things.  We know what our kids will ask, even before they ask it. We can predict (down to a second) when a meltdown is going to occur. God has even given Mamas the ability to know at what point to tell the oldest we've got 5 minutes before leaving the playground because the youngest is about to dirty his diaper (ok, so that one's not so hard to figure out). Still, it's absolutely amazing! It's all part of the package for a mom, but still VERY mysterious. 

     The greatest Mama Magic that I've ever had the pleasure to witness came from my own mother when my brothers and I were teenagers. I remember it like it was yesterday: My younger brother is a meat guy. Hey, he's from Texas. Meat and Dr. Pepper all the way. One summer day, while our parents were at work, my brother decided to pull out a pot roast from the fridge and cook it for lunch. Pan-fry it, if I remember correctly. I told him to put it back, but you can imagine how that went over. I gave up and went back to watching TV... a few minutes later the phone rang. I answered and heard my mom say, "Tell your brother to put the pot roast back in the refridgerator. I'm saving it for dinner!" How did she do that?!? I may never know. Mama Magic is all I can say.

     If you're a mom to be, get ready! Within hours of holding that little one in your arms your senses will power-up to Ninja level. (You may not notice this, however, until you start sleeping through the night again.) If you're a mom already, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I encourage you to hone in to your gift and use it wisely. Use it often. Keep it mysterious. If you are a child, well, good luck getting past your Mama with that stunt. Just remember: even if she doesn't "catch" you, she knows what you did.

     Wow, God, You really knew what You were doing when You gave Mamas eyes in the backs of our heads-Thanks for the Mama Magic. We couldn't do it without You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment