Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sowing with a Cheerful Heart

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:6-8

I've read this verse a hundred times, but this morning it hit me in a new way. I thought of it in the context of my life right now. I am a stay-at-home mom, 35 1/2 weeks pregnant, with an energetic daughter who will be 3 at the end of the month.

Lately, everyday tasks have become difficult for me (physically). I have a tough time walking from the car into the grocery store. I am exhausted after vacuuming just one room. Bending over to pick up toys or bits of macaroni & cheese after lunch... well, let's just say it's not the easiest thing to do! Even playing with Courtney has become a challenge. I have been somewhat discouraged at times because I feel as if I can't do anything that I want to do- at least not to the fullness that I hope for. Sometimes I feel like I can't physically give 100% to my family. My heart is in it, but I just can't seem to get all the laundry done or play the way I used to. As a task-oriented person, this is really tough for me. And then I read this verse.

I realized that sowing generously isn't just about the practical things I do, like laundry or running errands. Sowing includes the prayers I pray, the time I spend encouraging my family, and the emotional, mental and spiritual effort I exert in taking care of them. For some of you this is just common sense. For me, a task-oriented, results-seeking, evaluation-motivated person, well, it's a little tougher.

The question is not "Am I an abundant giver at this point in my life?" but "Am I a cheerful giver at this point in my life?" Some days more than others, I have to admit.

Now, I believe that abundant giving will spring from cheerful giving- don't get me wrong here... but it's difficult for me to give physically in abundance at this point. I can, however, still give cheerfully. I can (as I tell Courtney a thousand times every day) "keep a  happy heart" while I do one load of laundry, instead of grumbling that I didn't get all 3 loads done. I can cheerfully unload the dishwasher. I can cheerfully watch my little girl dance in the living room. I can cheerfully... well, you get the point. It's all in my heart-attitude.

And then there's the last part of this scripture: "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (v.8) God gives me grace. He showers me with grace and everything that I need so that I may abound in every good thing that He asks me to do. It's easy to feel like I'm just surviving through these last few weeks of pregnancy, but that's not God's plan for me. He came so I may have abundant life (John 10:10). Webster defines abundance as "marked by great plenty" or "amply supplied". I realized this morning that I really do have all that I need to glorify God. I just have to let Him reshape my thinking. For some reason I have in my mind a list of things I can do to glorify God. Most of those things aren't physically possible right now. So I'm left asking God, "What now? What can I do?" And I feel like God is replying: "Don't ask 'what can I do,' but rather, 'what can I be?'" I can be like Christ. I can be an attentive mom. I can be a supportive wife. I can be a good friend. Those things don't require a mile long to-do list. They simply require a cheerful heart and lots of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment