Thursday, July 8, 2010

Warren Buffet

"The power of unconditional love. I mean, there is no power on earth like unconditional love. And I think that if you offered that to your child, I mean, you’re 90 percent of the way home. There may be days when you don’t feel like it — it’s not uncritical love; that’s a different animal — but to know you can always come back, that is huge in life. That takes you a long, long way. And I would say that every parent out there that can extend that to their child at an early age, it’s going to make for a better human being." - Warren Buffet

I saw this online today and just had to share. I couldn't believe it! When asked about the best advice he ever received, Warren Buffet spoke of his father's unconditional love- an ACTION- not mere words. For those who don't know, Warren Buffet is an extremely prosperous business man, widely respected by the business and financial communities. He is quite wealthy and by our American culture's standards he is one of the most successful men alive. I find it quite interesting that his greatest advice has nothing to do with stocks or money... but unconditional love.

This is exactly my point for this blog: "Mama is a verb". Being a great parent isn't about shelling out advice at every turn, although we feel we have plenty to give! It's about living the advice we give our children. It's about being a great example, even through our mistakes. Great parenthood is rooted in unconditional love.

I'm reading a book with a group of awesome ladies right now called "Parenting the Way God Parents" by Katherine Koonce. She writes of how God's method of parenting is the perfect example for us as parents. Who better to look to for unconditional love than God Himself, who by definition in 1 John 4:16 "IS LOVE"? We see that love throughout scripture. I've seen it throughout my life in the way God deals with me. I don't know where Warren Buffet stands with God, but he has learned an important lesson that I believe God wants us all to learn: when we love our children unconditionally, as God loves us unconditionally, "it's going to make for a better human being," and not just our kids, but us, our communities, and our nation as well.

You can see the video here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100708/bs_yblog_upshot/buffett-recounts-the-best-advice-hes-ever-received

No comments:

Post a Comment