Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Larger Sandbag...

You may remember my last post, where I put up a little tutorial about making a sandbag for my workouts. You can see it here. A friend, who first got me interested in bodyrock.tv, asked me to make one for her, but a bit larger- holding 30 lbs instead of 20. I made it pretty much the same way with three differences:

1) I made more handles. The more I used my 20 lb bag, the more I wished I'd added more handles, so that I could hold the bag in different ways.

2) I put velcro on the liner. This will be helpful because she'll be moving a lot and will want to replace the sand without carrying it with her.

3) I used velcro to hold the outside shell closed, but found out that it won't hold up to 30 lbs- so I'll need to get a heavy duty zipper to hold it shut. I will be doing that in the next few days.

Soooo.... here is the bag! (Still with velcro in this pic, but will have a zipper or other heavy duty closure along the right side soon.)

 This side has three handles down the middle. The black sports strip is the part you hold, and the fabric strips are there for reinforcements.




This side has six handles. The black sports strip is a reinforcement, while the fabric strips above and below it are the handles.





This is the liner. I put the velcro on the top so that it wouldn't be on the same line as the opening to the outer shell. This holds three gallon-sized baggies full of sand, a total of 30 lbs. I like to have a liner because it makes me feel better- as in "maybe the sand won't get all over my floor if the baggies break."


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Finished dimensions are about 12x24 if you're looking straight on while it's full... in my opinion, it's a good size for a sandbag. Easy to drape over the shoulder, or to hold at shoulder width apart. In layman's terms, it's "this big":  (terrible pic, but you get the idea)



And, of course, here is my living room (which was clean when I started) after a few hours of not paying attention to my children. Not too bad- won't take long to clean up, but interesting nonetheless... and yes, those are Fruit Loops all over the couch:)

I hope you enjoyed this little post- Now, go get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment