Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Satisfaction of a Job Well Done...




I have a confession to make: I struggle with comparison. I know! Shocker, right? Ok, in all seriousness, I think we all do to some degree. I usually brush it off and call it "my competitive nature," and then feed it, cuddle it and encourage it; as if it were a pet or something.

I've come to realize lately that comparison truly is the greatest enemy to joy in our lives. God knows it. Theodore Roosevelt knew it. I'm beginning to understand it... a little. 

I ran across this verse a few days ago, and I can't get it out of my mind:

"Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct." -Galatians 6:4-5




"Pay CAREFUL attention". Responsibility. Intentionality. Diligence. "Your OWN work".




Honestly, sometimes I skip that part. Instead of being diligent in the things I deem important, I just scoot through life hoping that they get done. I assume that if I believe they're important, then I will do them. But that's not always the case.

If I don't PLAN to have time with Jesus, I won't.

If I don't PLAN to read with my kids, I won't.

If I don't PLAN to work out, I won't.

I love all of those things- but simply loving something doesn't make me do it. They're all high on my list of priorities, but I tend to do what is right in front of me first. I go to the kitchen for a glass of water and stop to put the cups in the dishwasher. Then I walk to the office, see the computer and sit down to balance the checkbook. I head to my bedroom to get stamps and stop to make my bed. Before long, the day is half gone and I am spent. I've done my chores but missed out on great opportunities with my God and my kids. I've accomplished much, but none of the things I was hoping to accomplish.

Then, when I get on Facebook and see friends who have finished their laundry, lost 10 lbs, completed the potty training process or taught their children to memorize the Bill of Rights, I feel defeated. Comparison (or "competition" as I like to call it) steals my joy. Not because I'm mad at them for doing all of those things- I think those things are great! But because I'm disappointed in myself for not paying careful attention to my own work. I'm discouraged because I'm actually paying more attention to THEIR work than my own. I commend their conduct while shucking responsibility for my own with excuses like "I was too ____________" (busy, tired, stressed, whatever).


So how do I get out of that rut? I don't have all the answers. I'm still working on it, but here are some things I know:

Number 1: I've got to get in God's Word. The Bible clearly tells us how to prioritize our lives in order to live well and please God. I was so encouraged to find Philippians 2:13, which says "For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." I'm blown away by this verse. God is working in us to help us get our priorities in line with His will! And, as Romans 8:31 says, "What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?" God is on our side!

Number 2: I have to plan for my priorities. I'm a task-oriented person, a planner by nature. I've come to realize that in order to walk in intentionality, I have to plan more than my "to-do" list. I have to plan my "to-be" list. Here is a great saying that I heard from one of our college pastors while I was at Baylor:

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance."


So what does that look like in my life? An example: Last week I was quite discouraged at the end of the day over some things I wanted to do but didn't. So I made a list of things I did well and things I could improve upon. I talked to God about this list and decided to try something:

 The next day, I read both lists and did my best to improve on the "not-so-greats." I ordered my tasks in such a way as to help me become the person God is making me to be.  And do you know what? I spent time with Jesus. I played more with my kids. I even did my workout AND got my chores done. I had a better attitude and didn't feel so rushed or exhausted at the end of the day. Being intentional made a huge difference. I planned to be more instead of just wandering through my day, doing whatever task showed up in front of me.

I was joyful.

I was confident.

When I put my head on my pillow that night, I felt "the satisfaction of a job well done." And that is a great feeling.


Have any of you ever been there with me? We all have good days and bad days. Remember on the bad days that God is working in you. He allows us to see our faults so that we can see His mercy and goodness and love toward us. Comparison will steal your joy so quickly. Trust in God and focus on what He wants you to do today instead of what everyone else has accomplished. You can do it! God's grace is so plentiful and available whenever you need it. May God bless you today:)









No comments:

Post a Comment