Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Conviction of a Child...

A few months ago, our church had some sort of special day concerning adoptions. Forgive me for not remembering the details- I wasn't getting much sleep those days with a new baby on my hip. I do remember that they put up pictures of orphans from our area in the foyer. Each picture had the child's name, age and other information. Courtney was curious about it, so I briefly explained that these children didn't have a mommy or a daddy to take care of them. That led to several conversations over the next six or seven months, ranging from "What happened to their parents?" to "How do they get clothes if they don't have a mom & dad?" It was obvious that my daughter left the foyer different that day.

I love the fact that people adopt children. It blesses me to see it happen and to support my friends as they go through the process. I even have a family member who is adopted. It just has never been something heavy on my own heart, though. I would adopt if God asked me to, or if a family situation presented itself, but otherwise it's just not something I feel a longing for at this point in my life. Courtney, however, even at 4 years old is very passionate about adoption. She talks about it often. She is genuinely concerned about the children in orphanages and foster homes. She can't stop thinking about it.

Yesterday I had one of those heart melting conversations with her. I could sense the decisiveness in her voice. She has made up her mind. "Mama, when I'm a grown up I'm gonna get me a kid."

"Get you a kid? What do you mean?"

"I'm gonna get me a kid that doesn't already have a mama or a daddy. And I'm going to make it my own kid and be its mama. And then I'm going to make it a mermaid tail [she's kind of on a mermaid kick] and make it some cookies!"

"That's great, baby! You'll make a really good mama for that kid."

"But how do I get me a kid?"

I went on to explain that you get kids basically two ways: either God puts one in your belly or you go out and find one that doesn't have a mom or dad. Then you make that kid your own. I spared her all the details about courts and birth certificates- that can come when she's older. I told her it's called "adopting".

"Well, I just want the adopting one."

Later that night, as I was recounting the conversation to Keith, I remembered seeing pictures on Facebook of some friends lately. They had a few children of their own, but had adopted a child from Africa as well. It was obvious to me that the grandparents of this adopted child loved this little girl just as much as all of their other grandchildren. I suddenly thought of myself in the same situation. Although I don't really have a personal conviction to adopt, I thought of how beautiful our family might be one day when Courtney and her husband come over to our house, surrounded by children from all different backgrounds who have found a home in her heart. Ok, I'm crying now as I write this!

It's amazing to me that God can start shaping a person's heart and desires at such a young age. I know Courtney well. This is not just a flippant thought like what she'll be for Halloween. This is a deep conviction. 

It makes me wonder how I can nurture her godly convictions as she grows up? Off the top of my head I can think of a few things I could do:

* Encourage her, even when I don't share the same conviction

* Show her scriptures supporting her passions


* Give her practical ways to get involved, even as a child (in this case: donating toys & clothes, going to fund raisers, supporting an orphan through Compassion International or another agency, etc.)


* Never try to talk her out of something just because I'm not comfortable with it (I'm talking about doing godly things that are out of my comfort zone, not crazy things like sky diving- yikes!)


* Make resources available to her


* Teach her how to recognize God's voice


* Realize that "God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us" (1 Corinthians 12:6)- just because God hasn't given me the same desires doesn't make it wrong.


*Let her grow at her own pace

One last thought: I strongly believe that it is dangerous to pass off a godly, Scripture-affirmed conviction in a child as "just a phase". 

Discouraging someone from doing the will of God while they are young will most definitely discourage them from doing His will when they are adults. 

Let God work out your children's convictions and let them decide what to do with them as they grow. Guide and teach them along the way. Support and encourage them. Teach them to discern the will of God. Don't be surprised if it gets you out of your comfort zone. Our children will learn how to handle their passions (godly or not) by the way we handle ours.

God, help me to nurture the convictions you place in my children's hearts as they grow into who You've created them to be.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's amazing how God shapes our little one's hearts from the get-go! Such a wise mama to nurture that passion :)

    ReplyDelete