Thursday, August 11, 2011

Freaking Out...

I know I've said it before, but I am amazed at how much I have learned about myself and God through my relationship with my children. Their behavior is oftentimes a reflection of my own attitudes and behaviors toward God.

Over the last few weeks we've been learning about hearing God in our church. A few days ago, as I was talking to my husband about one of the sermons, a simple picture entered my mind. I understood immediately what it meant.

Many times, when our four year old is upset, she works herself into such a frenzy that she literally cannot process anything we say. The picture that entered my mind that day was of me, holding my little girl's face in my hands, calmly trying to get her attention: "Baby, Courtney, Courtney. Look at me. Listen. Shhhhh. Let's calm down and listen." It usually takes a few minutes before she calms down enough to hear me out. All the while, as her head is in my hands, her eyes are roaming from side to side, usually looking at whatever caused her grief in the first place. When she finally looks into my eyes, her attitude changes. It's as if she realizes that I'm on her team, ready to help. She usually sits in my lap at that point and we talk about her problem.

I realized that sometimes I do the same thing with God. There are times when I get so worked up in a tizzy about my current crisis (big or small) that I can't even begin to process what God is saying. Even as He's speaking peace to my heart I'm looking at my problem, ignoring His words. I wonder how quickly I could get through some of my tough times if, instead of looking at my problem and freaking out, I would just look into God's eyes, sit in His lap and talk to Him about it like a big girl?

Let's all be big girls today.

No comments:

Post a Comment