Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On Being Strict...

I would consider my daughter to be a strong-willed individual. Fortunately, I am also (usually) strong willed, so it doesn't get to me often. Sometimes, however, it does catch me off-guard. Consider this conversation we had earlier today:

Me: What happened?
Her: I pushed the planter thingy and it fell off the tree. Will you put it back on?
Me: Yes. Here we go. Now listen, this thing will fall down if you push it again. Do not push the planter.
Her: But I just want to try it again to see if it falls off.
Me: Don't push the planter. Here, let's go play in the driveway instead. [the neighbor kids were painting our driveway with sidewalk chalk]
Her: Well, [gently pushing my leg] you just go in the house.
Me: No, [getting her idea] do not push the planter.
And then she pushed the planter. So she had to go inside. No more fun with the neighbor kids today. I led her into the house and put her tear-stained face, muddy hands and sidewalk-chalk-covered patooty straight in the tub.

It's times like these when we parents have got to stand our ground. We must be consistent. I was so tempted to say "Well, let's just go inside for a few minutes- just for time out. Then you can come back outside and play with your friends some more." Bad idea. I feel like I did the right thing this time, but how often do I lessen the consequences because I feel sorry for her through those big crocodile tears? I try not to, but I know it happens.

Sometimes I feel so guilty for being strict with her.


Most of all I just hope she knows how much I love her. I hope she grows up with a real understanding that all of the boundaries I placed on her, all of the times I made her go back and re-do a task because she didn't do it right the first time, all of the times I disciplined her for things her friends are allowed to do (like the 3 yr old in our neighborhood who plays in the street alone- GAH!). My husband assures me that she will understand when she's older. So does God's Word. So I can walk in confidence knowing that my being strict with her is really helping her more than it hurts me to see her cry.








1 comment:

  1. Being consistent is SO important. I relate to you so much!

    ReplyDelete