Monday, August 8, 2011

Earth Errands...

He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, and you will bring me glory.”

I replied, “But my work seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose. Yet I leave it all in the Lord’s hand; I will trust God for my reward.”
Isaiah 49:3-4

I don't know about you, but this is how I feel some days. I wonder if the work I'm doing will bear any fruit whatsoever. Really? I think, Does it really matter, Lord, if I put the clothes away or pick up the Cheerios or go to the grocery store? I know these things need to be done, but I wonder if they're of any eternal value. I tend to think of certain things as "Heaven Errands" and others as "Earth Errands". 

Earth Errands, to me, are all of the things I need to get done in a given day. They're usually written in my calendar. For instance, today is Monday. That means I'll have to get the garbage out to the curb. I will wash the kids' laundry, do the dishes, make the bed and a slew of other things that must be done. Tomorrow will be more of the same, with a trip to the doctor (shots for the kids- ouch!), a quick run to the grocery store, and an appointment at Subaru to see why my car has recently decided to sputter. Earth Errands. 

Heaven Errands are what I'd consider the super spiritual stuff of the day: teaching my kids about Jesus, praying with someone, giving to the poor. They're the things that count for eternity (in my book).

But may I suggest to you today that all of the Earth Errands can count for eternity as well? Throughout the Bible I see a common theme: We're to do God's work as we go. Two specific verses come to mind:

Matthew 28:19:  "Therefore GO and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

This word "go" is poreuō in Greek. It means "to pursue the journey on which one has entered, to continue on one's journey(1). In other words, "As you continue on the journey you're already on, show people how to follow Jesus."

Deuteronomy 6:6-7:  "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." 

*"When you sit" is yashab in Hebrew.It can mean to literally sit, or it can mean to make your abode or dwell (2)

*Interestingly, "at home" (bayith) can mean "at home" or household affairs (think Cheerios, diapers and the grocery store) (3)

*"When you walk" is halak. It means, "1) to go, walk, come, depart, proceed, move, go away 2) to die, live, manner of life (fig.)" (4) 

*The word "road" is derek. It can mean "1) way, road, distance, journey, manner a) road, way, path b) journey c) direction d) manner, habit, way e) of course of life (fig.) f) of moral character (fig.)" (5) 

In other words, it might be interpreted as: "Talk about God's commands with your kiddos as you live your life and walk the course laid out before you, going about all of the mundane tasks of your day." 

Those are just two examples of letting God use the everyday Earth Errands in our lives. Several others come to mind: The Samaritan woman went to the well to get water- something she did every day- and she encountered Jesus there. Her whole village was changed. God spoke to Gideon while he was threshing wheat in a wine press.  Jesus performed miracles for fishermen while they were at work. Jesus didn't say "Ok, I'm going to go into the city to pray for people for one hour, then I'll run a few errands and maybe catch a little nap." He ministered as he went. All through the Gospels we see that Jesus was often on his way someplace when he healed, taught or set the Pharisees straight. So why not us, as well? 

We may not see our reward right away. We have to entrust it to God. Who but He knows what treasures you're storing up in your children's hearts by being faithful and diligent in your housework? Never underestimate the power of a smile at the grocery store, the magnitude of a kind word to a co-worker or the impression of Jesus you may leave on the guy at the gas station. The Earth Errands can count for eternity, too, even when we feel like they're useless wastes of our time. My challenge to you (and to myself) today is to ask God to live through you as you go about your day to day routines. Trust Him to reward you in His way at just the right time. He is with you.

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristie!
    SO proud of you for keeping this up!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete